Thursday, February 16, 2006


By Way of Introductions...

I was inspired by other mothering-oriented blogs and websites to start my own rambling blog, Monpon. I am a stay-at-home mom with a new baby girl, 3 months (Little Pet) , a 9 and1/2 year old son, (Sir Juji, esq. Child lawyer) and Stelladogdingo, the jealous, aussy-mix middle dog-child. My husband, Dr. J, is finishing his residency in Neurology. I am going to art school part-time and have a background in non-profit writing and editing. Since I am only taking 3 credits this semester, I decided to entertain myself with a this new past time.

Little Pet is on my lap right now blowing bubbles and reaching for the keyboard. It is a stormy, snowy midwest afternoon and I will be digging out my car to head to class in a few hours. Last Tuesday, my father-in-law, who usually watches Little Pet, was out west for the week so I decided to take her to lecture with me. This is a class of about 300 hundred, so I figured no one would notice this little head of black hair sticking out of my pouch, and plus, I looked forward to the lecture on digital arts, and getting out of the house.

I admit I had this underlying suspicion that it might not go over that well with the college crowd, who for the most part think anything related to babies is uncool. I'm about 10-15 years older than the typical college student and I can say from the bottom of my heart that I am really glad to be over 30. But the guy sitting next to me didn't seem to mind, just kept text snapping open his cell every few minutes to check for messages. A couple of young ladies snorted when I sat down, diaper bag in tow, and got up to move with a snide "I don't want a screaming child in my ear" comment spoken to no one in particular. I just figure if other students can eat, sleep and play poker on their laptops during lecture, I should be able to bounce a baby on my lap.

And Little Pet did fine; she slept for a half hour, sat in my lap and looked around for another half hour and not until the last half hour did she start smacking on her hands, sneezing and fussing. I even got away with a stop-and-draw moment (in which we speedily draw whatever is projected on the slide). So, aside from minimal hostility, the whole bring baby to work (or school) thing worked out ok, but let's admit that this society aint exactly child-friendly. Now, the next challenge is bringing Sir Juji to my 3 hour lab class in a few weeks...

No comments: