Wednesday, August 30, 2006

My body again

It has been a few weeks since I have officially stopped breastfeeding little Petunia and I am noticing all sorts of changes in my mind and body. My appetite is down and the bloating has decreased, but so has my energy. This could be related to being back on the menstrual-go-round, as the first period was a heavy one. I was craving red meat and spinach instead of the usual sweets and carbs. I am also watching for signs of the nasty PMS I was experiencing before this pregnancy. I have to say it has been a nice 18 months of stable hormone action, a gift, I guess from the progesterone and prolactin goddesses!

I start back at school part time and I am happy to begin mildly abusing my body again. Now I can resume my daily practice of skipping meals, drinking too much coffee, popping pills for this and that and inhaling the toxic fumes of dyes, paints and inks. Maybe I’ll even get drunk! Oh, so much to look forward to :).

Seriously, I am going to need all that caffeine so I can keep up with the Pet these days. She tears through the house on all fours, pulling books and cd’s off the shelf, dumping the dog’s food and water, grabbing the toilet bowl scrubber and putting all sorts of things in her mouth: screws, coils, batteries, cords, coins and legos. She tries to climbs out of her stroller, out of the bed, out of the bath, and off the changing table. She is a blur of banana puffs, strewn nuks, diapers halfway on and the bumps and bruises of an unflappable explorer. So we try to stay one step ahead of her, get her outside to feel the rain and walk in puddles, to see the ducks at the lagoon under the weeping willow, to walk with her by the lake and show her the grey crane that stands so still on the rocks as the boats sail past. But most of all, I’m thinking: it is time to get this monkey her own jungle gym.

No comments: