Friday, February 16, 2007

Breathing for Beginners


Yoga for Toddlers
Originally uploaded by monpon.

So I woke up this morning with soreness in my “big toe ball mount,” which is supposed to be screwed to my mat in Parighasana (Gate Pose) and in my inner, upper thighs from all the inward turning during Tadasana (Mountain Pose). I've gotten more comfortable with the stack of wool blankets, the bolsters, the belt, blocks and folding chairs, but still eye those ropes with suspicion. I am enjoying Utthita Trikonasana (Extended Triangle Pose) and Virabhasrasana (Warrior I and II poses) and whose favorite isn’t Savasana? Too bad we only get the drive-thru version of 30 seconds in corpse pose. I could use an hour.


Luckily, Mr. Yoga keeps us laughing, even as we lose our balance in Tree Pose or bend far too close to the ground in Powerful Pose : “Arms by your ears, reach up, tighten those kneecaps... yes it may not feel that comfortable, but at least someone isn’t holding your arm in place (cow pose), someone who doesn’t like you - like a cop. And, turn your head to the side, you don’t have to be the exorcist or anything, just keep the head to the side. And people, hold the poses - not just when I am looking at you!


I can understand why so many people take up yoga seriously and for the long term - the poses are energizing and restorative, relaxing and strengthening and most of all, for me, they integrate body and mind through the breath. And who doesn't forget to breath these days?

Here is poem called Savasana by Peggy Hong, Mil Town's Poet Laureate and Iyengar Yoga instructor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The yoga sounds like it gives balance and allows you to center yourself, now can you bring it to your daily life outside of the formal practice time and allow to infuse all that you do. You should teach your husband some of the positions as you know he is such a poseur. Like the little yoga in your accompaning pic.