Saturday, March 15, 2008

weaving winter away



The sun glows warm again. And it couldn't come any sooner. Those winter blues had set in too dark and too deep. While the coiling kept my hands warm and busy and sewing by the light of many lux kept me alert, the lack of exercise, leisure time and good eating habits has caught me up and buried the flutters of anxiety deep in my chest. Today it warmed up enough for lighter jackets and walks in the neighborhood. Today the sun shone white through big glass windows and fell golden as it set in the west.

I begin my weaving now, holding my loom, my needle and my string in my hands. I pull the string, untangle it, push it through the eye of the needle and begin to weave in rows, back and forth, up and down. I weave through strands of stressful deadlines, willful toddlers and contrary preteens, through JB's 14 hour days and my sisters' failing mental health. Weaving memories into something cloth-like and substantial, solid and bound tightly from the fear and loneliness this winter has left behind.

No comments: