Sunday, November 23, 2008

I have never had cleaner hands...

I told myself that I had to use up all of my latest art material purchases before going out for more goodies. So, I finished up a felting project I had been intending to do since I read The Creative Family and since seeing Mother Rising's beautiful felted ball necklace. So Mai and I dipped our hands into bowls of warm soapy water to felt for the first time. The smell of warm wool, the feel of squishy soapy balls and the very clean hands where just a few of the highlights. It took a while to get the hang of making the balls, getting it rolled tight enough and giving just the right pressure, heat and agitation to get the fibers to interlock. We ended up with some nice larger balls with bells inside, some smaller ones and some "seaweed" which was of Maia's creation. It seems that at a certain point the fibers get so matted that they can no longer be reshaped (?). Nonetheless, Mai exclaimed "I am so cited bout that!" so I must deem it a success. Happy Sunday!

2 comments:

Christi said...

You girls are busy bees. I'm jealous! Now I have to finish that "quick-knit" project I started...um, two weeks ago?...oh boy. At least I know I can call you with felting questions.

Love the seaweed by the way.

denise said...

I love the colors you ended up with. I love the feel of felting - it is so WRONG that I'm allergic to lanolin/wool.