Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Back to the books






I am working feverishly on one of my last handmade cloth books... got to get it in the mail like yesterday. I know now that if I were to make more cloth books with a number of editions, there are some things I just wouldn't do again! My book from last semester was also an accordion style book with text and images printed on cloth. I used a lot of coffee and tea dyed organza, ironed onto freezer paper and put through the printer which worked out fairly well. Apparently I have been reading too much Eric Carle because I can see some similarities between this book and The Very Hungry Caterpillar. The text begins: "I am eating my way through..." and ends with "I am still hungry." The hand stitching was relaxing. I would sink into the couch after dinner and sew under the light of a table lamp as the kids played or read or slept. The holes developed later, purely by accident by a bit of rust sparking in the microwave, so I cut more and stitched around and through them. I like the idea of peek-holes, of something being hidden and partially revealed as well as the cuts and suture-like stitching. I will be working on a lot more books this next semester with different bindings and although this book isn't where I'd like it to be, it really opened me up to new processes and ideas. What more can you really ask for in art?

No comments: