Friday, September 25, 2009

Useful things: the comfort of crochet


crocheted dishtowels
Originally uploaded by monpon.

I pulled out my collection of knitting and crocheting needles this week and was comforted by the process of making a few projects I found in Crochet Today - dish towels, a acorn and a halloween bunny hat. The yarn was soft cotton and the needle moved freely through loops and v's, warming my hands and relaxing my mind. A much different experience from the poof and hiss of the gas/oxygen flowing from the torch in the metals lab, the grating rub of the jeweler's saw and the piercing bangs of hammer on metal. The cooler fall weather is coming and what better way to keep warm than cotton and wool and bamboo yarns pulled and looped and wrapped together to make useful things?

No comments: