Saturday, September 19, 2009

Yellowing leaves and ripe tomatoes

 
The weather is cool and sunny, a bit dry, but the garden lives on. Kale, chard and green peppers stand strong, while the tangle of cherry tomatoes has dried out and drooped.  A mass of fruit has hit the soil (readying for next year's volunteers?) and another mass of ripe red cherry tomatoes is drying on the kitchen counter. Mums the word, and dahlia's too.  Maia has collected dry leaves and acorns, sticks and pine cones on her weekly nature walk with Papa and placed them just so on her nature table.  

Crafting has taken off since the block party where we beaded, made masks and other recycled crafts from egg cartons. Silver has been ordered and sawed, pierced and soldered and my first piece of metals created.
New Moo cards have arrived which are pretty darn fun and a trip to the outdoor market produced some vintage materials and trim.  A dress is being sewn, a washcloth crocheted and lots of tomato based foods are being prepared. The fall sun slants brightly, soccer games have commenced.  The autumn season is in the air with tulip bulbs to plant, bags of red apples brought home from the orchard and  banana bread baking in the oven.

5 comments:

Christi said...

Girl, you're a busy bee! And, I love the photos!

Maryke said...

Bless you for not mentioning the mundane, but only that which will be remembered years from now. F*&ck laundry and dirty dishes!

Shana said...

not really so busy, just a long delayed post :) i could dedicate another blog completely to the laundry and the dishes and the vacuuming, and the dusting (ha! what dusting?) and all the running around in circles with my head cut off but I'd rather take your advice Maryke!

andrea said...

Hi Shana,

Christi gave me your blog address since I had asked her about appliques. She showed me one of yours. As well, I can relate to the drooping tomato plants and dried out cherry tomatoes on the counter! Sounds like my life!

I'm enjoying perusing your posts.


I have a blog too. Why don't you come on over and visit!

http://RaisingPeanut.blogspot.com

I'll be lurking often. Maybe even commenting. :)

Andrea

Shana said...

Thanks for stopping by to say hi Andrea! Good luck with the applique - it's fun even without machine embroidery. Here is a link to a fishy tee shirt I made: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brodypontastic/3053045375 BTW, your little peanut is super adorable. Love the curls!